Logo for the Golden ring of Russia #1
Brief project description:
Having analyzed the possible approaches to developing the Russia’s golden ring logo.
We assumed the obvious paths of error to be:
- A straightforward association with golden ring per se, as it would have nothing to do with the territory branding. It would be more like picking out a sign for a jewelry shop.
- A straightforward association with churches and domes which are merely the greatest value of the Russia’s golden ring.
So we worked on taking the “Golden Ring” branding away from the shiny knickknacks or hieratic architecture more towards the tour itinerary and market potential.
We found a few interesting lines to work on: birch, log-house, folk-art, history. Blended together they were supposed to turn into a light, positive symbol that would be easy to place onto all sorts of merchandise and souvenirs: T-shirts, hoodies, magnets, umbrellas, coasters, plates, etc. Domes could have been an attractive solution. Yeah, for an “over 50” audience. Yet, we were looking for something appealing to all buyer groups including teenagers and students, married couples in their 30-40s, foreign tourists, too.
The solution was found: a tree cut with the distinct wood rings was decided to be a backbone of the branding. To a keen eye those circles can give a lot of information about the tree: how old it is, where it grew, what kind it is, what was happening to it during its life and what not.
To identify each region forming the Russia’s Golden Ring we placed the capital city outline into the hart of the sign letting it shape all the next concentric circles. This way every Golden ring city could be easily recognized from one another within the same logo.
Quoting the Client’s requirements specs we were supposed to create a logo that would be at the same time:
- Easy to apply to merchandising goods;
- No gender identity – equally suitable for men and women;
- No vivid social or age identity – suitable for wide audience;
- Distinctly reads the Golden Ring route;
- Easy to modify for each city within the Golden Ring;
- Can be used for the anniversary branding.